An astonishing world of discovery is just waiting to be explored in the study of matter better known as Chemistry.
Both courses of Chemistry (Semester 1 and 2) are self-paced, comprehensive, and combined, total 32 weeks of instruction. They are the perfect introduction to the subatomic science of matter from a Biblical Worldview. In each Chemistry Science course, Dr. Daniel Korow DVM presents the key concepts and ideas that makes Chemistry truly fascinating! He draws from many sources creating a total package that integrates General Science, Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, as well as his experiences as a veterinarian.
In addition, Dr. Dan’s Chemistry will help your student : “Learn how to learn” and remember those facts and names that seem to be mind boggling. This course is designed to make Science understandable. Memorization may work on the short term to get that “A” on an exam, but understanding and mastery of the material will last a lifetime!
Did you know?
Many of our local home schoolers using the Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 2nd Edition also complete the “On Your Own” questions in the text book as well as the Apologia’s self-tests in the Chemistry Test & Solutions book. Those homeschoolers are well prepared for later exams, testing and real-time use of their Chemistry knowledge!
When both semesters are taken, they offer one high school credit.
Why Take Dr. Dan’s Chemistry Courses
- Learn Chemistry when your schedule permits throughout the Week
- Each video is a superior quality, fully illustrated, Power Point presentation
- The material for every module (week) is divided into several separate videos. On average each module has 5-6 Class Videos. Watch them all at once for approximately 1 hour of viewing, or watch one small segment each day during the school week.
- Watch the videos as many times as needed to master the material
- Hone your notetaking skills by pausing videos, slowing their speed, repeating the content
- Semester 1 Video Library includes over 100 videos –
Orientation to Chemistry (2) – Getting started
How to Study Mini-video series (5) – Life skills that will last a lifetime
Class Videos (92) – Over 16 weeks of material
Lab Videos (12) – For weeks covering Lab. Perform lab experiments with his Lab Videos and his own Lab Handout (an additional $15 for the year – downloadable PDF).
- Study Helps – Charts (downloadable PDFs), Acronyms and Mneumonics – aid in comprehension while keeping the BIG picture
- Online Class Quizzing Over Each Module
- Online Lab Quizzing Over Each Module Containing a Lab
Course Available Mid Summer 2018
A SNEAK PREVIEW OF THE FIRST FOUR WEEKS of the SEMESTER 1 Chemistry Course!
Orientation to Chemistry
- Orientation to Class 15:30
- Orientation to Lab 4:35
How to Study Mini-Series Videos
- Preparation Before Studying 10:09
- While You Study 5:14
- The Study Environment 3:38
- Study Helps 4:20
- Study Tricks 25:47
Module 1: Matter, Metric and Math
Reading Assignment: Exploring Creation with Chemistry 2nd Edition by Wile Pages 1-16
Lecture Videos: The Study of Matter
- Chemistry 101: An Overview 5:10
- Understanding Matter 7:07
- Measuring Matter 9:36
- The Metric System 7:09
- The Metric System: Base Units 7:33
- The Metric System: Prefixes 5:57
- The Metric System: Prefixes With Base Units 7:25
- Math: Unit Conversion 20:41
- Math: Rearranging Equations 5:16
- Math Solutions: Unit Conversions 5:06
Lecture Quiz: The Study of Matter
Lab: No Lab – Orientation videos
Module 2: Significant Figures and Rounding Numbers
Reading Assignment: Exploring Creation with Chemistry 2nd Edition by Wile Pages 17-31
Lecture Videos: Significant Figures
- Introduction to Taking Measurements: Applying Significant Figures 13:45
- Rules for Determining Significant Figures 16:07
- Significant Figures: Rounding the Final Answer 12:07
- Scientific Notation 19:57
Lecture Quiz: Significant Figures, Conversion Factors and Unit Conversions
Lab Video: Density
Lab Quiz: No Lab Quiz
Module 3: The Four Laws of Chemistry
Reading Assignment: Exploring Creation with Chemistry 2nd Edition by Wile Pages 37-47
Lecture Videos: The Four Laws of Chemistry
- An Introduction to the Four Laws of Chemistry 4:19
- The Law of the Conservation of Matter 5:58
- The Law of the Conservation of Energy or the First Law of Thermodynamics 26:59
- Scientific Notation 19:57
- The Law of Definite Proportions and the Law of Multiple Proportions 7:25
Lecture Quiz: Unit Conversion and Significant Figures
Lab Video: No Lab
Lab Quiz: No Lab Quiz
Module 4: The First Law of Thermodynamics
Reading Assignment: Exploring Creation with Chemistry 2nd Edition by Wile Pages 48-60
Lecture Videos: The First Law of Thermodynamics
- An Experimental Overview 13:42
- Protective Measures 3:20
- Setting Up Word Problems 15:01
- First Law of Thermodynamics: Application to Lab 13:51
- First Law of Thermodynamics: Solving Problems 14:46
Lecture Quiz: The First Law of Thermodynamics
- Calorimetry and Specific Heat
Lab Quiz: Calorimetry
Required for the Chemistry Class & Lab Course
1) Included in the Total Course Price $ 199.00 per Semester
- Dan’s Chemistry CLASS Videos – 99
- Dan’s Chemistry LAB Videos – 12
- Dan’s Chemistry CLASS Quizzes
- Dan’s Chemistry LAB Quizzes
- Dan’s Chemistry STUDY aids
2) Additional Purchases Necessary
- Exploring Creation in Chemistry Textbook, 2nd ed. by Jay Wile, Apologia Press (Text book)
- Exploring Creation in Chemistry Solutions Manual, 2nd ed. by Jay Wile, Apologia Press (Test & Solutions book). Both can be purchased individually or as a set. Many available online both new/used.
- Dr. Dan’s Chemistry Lab Handouts – PDF, quarterly segments. Now ONLY $15 total for BOTH Semesters
- Chemistry Kit – see section on special equipment needed
AVAILABLE FROM VARIOUS other SOURCES for an additional charge.
- Goggles, common various household supplies, and smock if desired.
- As a Summary:
Who is this course designed for? Whether your learner loves, dislikes, or simply tolerates science, you’ll find that Dr. Dan’s Chemistry will open up a fun new way to approach the subject. Students benefit from Dr. Dan’s many years of Veterinary practice and teaching experience. Your child will be amazed at the unexpected and even silly things that Dr. Dan dreams up to make chemistry fun and rewarding. Over the 16 week period, 92 videos cover the class material, and an additional 12 videos of Lab. Ideally, each video can be viewed more than once, paused, even slowed down or sped up for note taking or study purposes. Hearing Dr. Dan talk slowly will make you laugh and remember the material!
These videos are intended to engage the student into the masterpiece of God’s design.
Dr. Dan’s Chemistry Course will lay a firm groundwork for students who want to take Science to the College Level. Prior students have stated that this course was really helpful for the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) test and/or the Advanced Placement (AP) test. Many students also stated that they felt excellently prepared once they got to college!
If within the first 14 days (2 weeks ) of starting Dr Dan’s Chemistry course, you and your student feel like they are not ready for high school Chemistry, then please contact us! We will explore the various best options for learning, growth and excelling with Dr Dan’s Science!